I have been saving these links up since January 21st. Time to share about 50 of them. :)
Niche SEO Guides
- Shane Pike shared advice on how to sell a website for $1 million.
- Here is a free guide to real estate SEM.
- Rick Schwartz has a killer post about questions to ask when buying domain names.
- Tons and tons and tons of great posts highlighted by Matt McGee on Semmys.org...make sure to use their site search when searching for a topic new to you.
- Joost has a wonderful guide to Magento SEO.
- Garrett French created a new link building guide.
- Nick Wilson offers his Virtual Worlds for Business free.
The Rising Commoditization of Everything But Experience
Graywolf shared this great video about the ongoing process of commoditization.
- materials get commoditized
- due to competition products become materials
- customized service and personalization help create sustained value
The Fear of Success in Creative Arts
This Elizabeth Gilbert TED video talks about how to live with knowing your best work is likely behind you, which is true for many popular artists and authors.
More Search News
Yahoo! Search makes it easy to embed videos & docs with SearchMonkey.
Yelp was accused of extortion. Pay us or that negative review stays at the top. Lovely mafia-styled business model :)
Bryan Todd shares a powerful story about how words are powerful:
There is no such thing as right language or wrong language, good grammar or bad grammar, correct English or incorrect English. There is only language that got you want you wanted, or didn't.
Perry Marshall highlights how Google considers some businesses to be illegitimate businesses. If only they would get to the government grant stimulus ad scams.
Gab Goldenberg offers tips on online branding. Lance Loveday wrote a great article about the overlap between search and branding. In our member forums I started a thread called branding in the search channel.
George Michie explains why budgeting search is a bad idea and offered some SEM RFP questions worth asking. Generally I have avoided clients that needed an RFP because I felt they were still in the shopping phase.
Searchers have been using longer search queries.
John Andrews explained how he thought Sphinn moved on from its roots.
CJ shares some ideas for how search engines can hunt for paid links.
Joel Spolsky highlighted why you should not use Google apps for anything important. I am really hoping they never screw up my email account!
Michael Gray took a look at the influence of article directories on organic rankings.
Debra Mastaler offers a link building stimulus plan.
Rob explains how some sales techniques, particularly in social settings, work well by hiding the upsells in the price. Online if you sell a non-commodity you can make the core price higher (to increase perceived value) and then let people de-select the pieces they do not want or need.
Back in January Robert Scoble highlighted that Facebook is studying sentiment behavior.
Andrew Goodman highlighted how dumb some clever nanotargeted marketing is. Funny :)
- from Eric - Technology has brought us closer together, but makes us more stressed.
- from Marissa - speech to text technology on Youtube that is searchable should be around in 5 to 10 years
- from Marissa - credit card companies know if you are going to get divoriced with 98% certainty something like 2 years ahead of time.
Eric Schmidt also suggested that as netbooks get cheaper they may subsidize them to buy marketshare.
The Economist published a story about Brewster Kahle and the idea of an open library.
Tons of great free research from FutureLab.
Seth Godin riffs on the purpose of schooling, including ideas like...Teach future citizens how to conform & Teach future consumers how to desire
Here he talks about the concept behind his new book Tribes.
New to the site? Join for Free and get over $300 of free SEO software.
Once you set up your free account you can comment on our blog, and you are eligible to receive our search engine success SEO newsletter.
Already have an account? Login to share your opinions.
- Over 100 training modules, covering topics like: keyword research, link building, site architecture, website monetization, pay per click ads, tracking results, and more.
- An exclusive interactive community forum
- Members only videos and tools
- Additional bonuses - like data spreadsheets, and money saving tips