Tool from Last Month:
None of the major text link analysis tools for sale allow you to check co-citation, or pages which link to multiple related resources.
Last month I had a friend create Hub Finder, which is a free on topic link analysis tool which looks for co-citation. I have not got much feedback on the tool yet, but a few people have said they found it to be useful.
New SEO tool for this month:
Another common problem with most link analysis tools is that they do not make it quick, easy, and convenient for you to be able to search past the 1,000 backlink barrier set by most search engines. What is the point of being slow to give you more details than you need, only to survey a small portion of the inbound links?
A friend of mine is a decent programmer, and I had him whip up a tool I call Link Harvester, which has a ton of cool features:
- uses the Yahoo! API, so it is in compliance with their TOS.
- makes saving and exporting data in CSV as simple as a click of the mouse
- does not require any software downloading
- quickly grabs the number of .gov, .edu, & .ac.uk inbound links while also listing each individual link.
- quickly grabs the number of unique linking domains while listing them
- quickly grabs the number of unique linking C block IP addresses while listing the C block next to each domain
- allows you to check links pointing at a page or at a domain
- displays the total number of links showed by Yahoo!
- displays the total number of pages indexed by Yahoo!
- links next to each domain that point at its WhoIs source information and Wayback Machine information.
- if a site links at your site more than 5 times then it is bolded in the results and a checkbox is autochecked, which allows you to filter out that site and spider deeper through the link database. This harvesting action is how you can spider deeper than 1,000 backlinks and where the tool got its name from.
- Link Harvester is open source. If you like the tool & find it useful you can add it to your site. Also if you can think of ways to make it better you can modify it however you please.
Why Not Look at Anchor Text?
- I did not want this tool to spider websites.
- I wanted this tool to be faster than anything on the market.
- It is important to understand what anchor text variations people are using, but usually you can figure out how stiff the competition is just by quickly glancing through their backlink profile without necissarily looking too deeply into anchor text. The current off the shelf tools that monitor the anchor text only give you a small sample of backlink data.
- This tool was not designed to be the comprehensive show all link analysis tool, but just something that was useful and quick and easy to use.
After you see enough linkage data you become aware of how competitive a site is and how you should go about promoting it. It is kinda like the thin slicing concept Malcolm Gladwell talks about in Blink.
Please let me know what you think about Link Harvester in the comments below.
Want to Host Link Harvester? Want to make it better?
grab the source code here.
Gain a Competitive Advantage Today
Your top competitors have been investing into their marketing strategy for years.
Now you can know exactly where they rank, pick off their best keywords, and track new opportunities as they emerge.
Explore the ranking profile of your competitors in Google and Bing today using SEMrush.
Enter a competing URL below to quickly gain access to their organic & paid search performance history - for free.
See where they rank & beat them!
- Comprehensive competitive data: research performance across organic search, AdWords, Bing ads, video, display ads, and more.
- Compare Across Channels: use someone's AdWords strategy to drive your SEO growth, or use their SEO strategy to invest in paid search.
- Global footprint: Tracks Google results for 120+ million keywords in many languages across 28 markets
- Historical data: since 2009, before Panda and Penguin existed, so you can look for historical penalties and other potential ranking issues.
- Risk-free: Free trial & low price.