Most searches occur at the main search sites and portals (Google, Yahoo!, MSN, AOL, etc.), but some people also search for temporal information, looking to find what is hot right now, or seeing how ideas spread. Not everyone can afford WebFountain, but we can all track what people are searching for or how stories are spreading using:
Feed Readers :
Subscribe to your favorite channels (or topical RSS feeds from news sites)
- Google Toolbar Buttons
- Firefox Sage
- Google Reader
- My Yahoo!
search for recent news posted on blogs
- Google Blog Search related RSS feeds
- Technorati blog finder
- Ice Rocket
- Yahoo! News (with blogs) RSS
Blog Buzz Index:
search for stories rapidly propagating through blogs
- Technorati popular news popular books
- Daypop top 40
- Bloglines top links site readers public profiles related feeds
- Memerandum Tech
- Ice Rocket brand A vs brand B
- Topix.net Blogs
General Buzz & Search Volume:
- Yahoo! Buzz Index overall
- Lycos 50
- Google Zeitgeist
- Google Suggest
- Google Keyword Tool - shows 12 month historical trends!
- Overture Search Turm Suggestion tool View Bid Tool
- my keyword research tool - like Overture's, but it cross references many of the ideas on this page - like tagging, etc.
- Amazon best sellers
- eBay Reviews
- Become.com shopping search
- Yahoo! Shopping
- Clickbank ordered by purchase volume & price
- Amazon feedback
- Google Groups
- forums (see Boardtracker)
- general search
- Akamai net usage index - check general search volumes
- Google News RSS
- Yahoo! News (with blogs) RSS
- Topix (with blogs) RSS
- NYT most emailed articles
- Wikipedia most edited talk pages (controvercial stuff)
- Newsmap (just plain cool)
Test Ad Accounts & Test Media:
- Google AdWords
- Yahoo! Search Marketing
- write press releases and submit them cheaply to see how much buzz & news search volume their is around a topic, using sites like PR Web or PR Leap
- post on a topic
- see if it spreads
- check referrer data
- Sometimes stories emerge out of the comments. The Save Jeeves meme that spread originated around the time the person who created that story commented on my post about Jeeves getting axed.
- Don't forget to have friends tag your story on Del.ico.us and submit it to Digg.
Some are busy tagging what information they think is useful.
- Delicious - personal bookmark manager.
- Wink - tag search
- Flickr - image tagging hottest tags
- Tag Cloud - shows graphic version of hot tags
- Technorati Tags
- Digg Top Stories
- My Yahoo!
- Google Search History (you can't see what others are tagging, but I bet it eventually will influence the search results - Google is already allowing people to share feeds they read)
- more tagging sites come out daily...lots of others exist, like Edgio, StumbleUpon, Shadows, Kaboodle, etc etc etc
- also look at the stuff listed in Google Base...there may or may not be much competition there, and Google Base is going to be huge.
Track Individual Stories and Conversations & Trends of a Blog:
- Bloglines who cited this post
- Technorati links pointing at a URL
- Blogpulse Conversation Tracker
- Technorati and Blogpulse also allow you to track how hot a word or phrase is in the blogosphere over a period of time.
- Pubsub allows you to create a feed for a brand or product name or issue.
- CoComment - allows you to track comments
Bloggers typically cite the original source OR the person who does the most complete follow up.
See if a blog is gaining or losing marketshare and compare blogs to one another
Overall Most Popular Blogs and Stories:
Did I miss anything? Am sure I did. Please comment below.
Here are earlier stories from this series:
New to the site? Join for Free and get over $300 of free SEO software.
Once you set up your free account you can comment on our blog, and you are eligible to receive our search engine success SEO newsletter.
Already have an account? Login to share your opinions.
- Over 100 training modules, covering topics like: keyword research, link building, site architecture, website monetization, pay per click ads, tracking results, and more.
- An exclusive interactive community forum
- Members only videos and tools
- Additional bonuses - like data spreadsheets, and money saving tips