I was about to make a joking post on my blog, but I spoke to a friend who helped me see past the short termism of my idea.
My friend said that many of the better voices in the SEO space
- get a second opinion, and
- write it then wait at least a few hours before submitting some controvercial type stuff
It is easy to post things that you will know will get links because they are controvercial, but as you do things like:
- offend more people, or
- throw out random semi correct link bait (see the title of this post - although the post title was hosed the conversation was dead on)
it becomes harder to build a sustainable business model & get referenced by the most important channels.
Many blogs work well because they are strongly filtered. Many do well because they are not. Many do well because they are highly opinionated. Many do well because they are not. If a site is an individually ran profit generating venture sometimes it is hard to strike balance, especially if the writer writes in a highly opinionated manner.
I would give away my ebook and create another business model if I didn't think that would lead to eventual marginalization (which at this point I think it could). In some hyper cometitive fields you need a variety of the following to compete:
- the right friends;
- a packet of money;
- insaine amounts of knowledge;
- incredible credibility;
- a great voice;
- the ability to scour, find, & sort new information
Not long ago I was bad off and knew nothing about the web, but thanks to friends like the one I spoke to tonight I am still doing well enough to get by as I establish better credibility and learn more about writing, filtering, and search.
New to the site? Join for Free and get over $300 of free SEO software.
Once you set up your free account you can comment on our blog, and you are eligible to receive our search engine success SEO newsletter.
Already have an account? Login to share your opinions.
- Over 100 training modules, covering topics like: keyword research, link building, site architecture, website monetization, pay per click ads, tracking results, and more.
- An exclusive interactive community forum
- Members only videos and tools
- Additional bonuses - like data spreadsheets, and money saving tips