Instead of going after broad terms sometimes frequently searched for slightly less broad terms will rank in the search results for the broad terms.
It is likely going to be much easier to rank in the top 2 to 3 results for a longer query than it is to rank in the top 10 for a short generic query. Bill reviewed Google's query refinement here, and on this post I noted that on under $1 I was able to rank #4 for Marlboro by ranking #1 for Marlboro Miles.
Gain a Competitive Advantage Today
Your top competitors have been investing into their marketing strategy for years.
Now you can know exactly where they rank, pick off their best keywords, and track new opportunities as they emerge.
Explore the ranking profile of your competitors in Google and Bing today using SEMrush.
Enter a competing URL below to quickly gain access to their organic & paid search performance history - for free.
See where they rank & beat them!
- Comprehensive competitive data: research performance across organic search, AdWords, Bing ads, video, display ads, and more.
- Compare Across Channels: use someone's AdWords strategy to drive your SEO growth, or use their SEO strategy to invest in paid search.
- Global footprint: Tracks Google results for 120+ million keywords in many languages across 28 markets
- Historical data: since 2009, before Panda and Penguin existed, so you can look for historical penalties and other potential ranking issues.
- Risk-free: Free trial & low price.