Brett Tabke recently had a supporters thread about the page title element as part of his 101 Signals of Quality series.
In the post he:
- talks about how some people overdo it or underdo it to make the title less appealing to potential site visitors and search algorithms alike.
- gave examples not only of what pulled best from the search results, but also what words could be added to forum thread topic titles to keep conversations going.
- talked about keyword value vs phrase length
One thing he did not talk about a lot is the effect titles have on viral link baiting. I think NickW is probably the best at titling link bait of anyone I have ever seen. The title not only acts as an ad to be clicked on but also as an ad to be part of a story worth spreading. If you can be early with stories or put interesting twists on them those skills can make it really easy to build link popularity.
All in all Brett's post kicked ass. With how much information he put in that post I am going to be interested in seeing how he creates 101 tip posts like that one.
New to the site? Join for Free and get over $300 of free SEO software.
Once you set up your free account you can comment on our blog, and you are eligible to receive our search engine success SEO newsletter.
Already have an account? Login to share your opinions.
- Over 100 training modules, covering topics like: keyword research, link building, site architecture, website monetization, pay per click ads, tracking results, and more.
- An exclusive interactive community forum
- Members only videos and tools
- Additional bonuses - like data spreadsheets, and money saving tips