Perfect examples of link bait (although some examples may offend certain religious people):
- The Onion | Evangelical Scientists Refute Gravity With New 'Intelligent Falling' Theory
- Wikipedia: Flying Spagetti Monster
- Boing Boing's $250,000 Intelligent Design challenge
Although those are both on exceptionally popular sites, you can do that with obscure sites if the story is easy to spread and / or funny.
You really only need one well known person to link in on something like that and it just spreads. This PageRank 0 site recently got a homepage link from AOL.
If you are in a field that can't build links naturally create linkbait. Goldenpalace.com, an online casino, always buys random overpriced crap for the promotional effects. Others state unpopular claims with minimal bets that get them far more plublicity than the cost of them losing.
Other interesting stuff...
Gain a Competitive Advantage Today
Your top competitors have been investing into their marketing strategy for years.
Now you can know exactly where they rank, pick off their best keywords, and track new opportunities as they emerge.
Explore the ranking profile of your competitors in Google and Bing today using SEMrush.
Enter a competing URL below to quickly gain access to their organic & paid search performance history - for free.
See where they rank & beat them!
- Comprehensive competitive data: research performance across organic search, AdWords, Bing ads, video, display ads, and more.
- Compare Across Channels: use someone's AdWords strategy to drive your SEO growth, or use their SEO strategy to invest in paid search.
- Global footprint: Tracks Google results for 120+ million keywords in many languages across 28 markets
- Historical data: since 2009, before Panda and Penguin existed, so you can look for historical penalties and other potential ranking issues.
- Risk-free: Free trial & low price.