Brief review of Webmasterworld Competitive Analysis panel. Bill Tancer:
Went through traffic interception and search seasonality information using HitWise.
HitWise starts at about $20,000 a year. Keyword Intelligence is a cool tool they are coming out with that is cheaper.
SEO trivia nugget: he was a private investigator for 12 years
write scripts to discount affiliate links if their affiliate codes URLs are ranking where your site would be
- use related:www.mysite.com on Google
- Netcraft (when site was first seen in search engines)
- Whois Source - offers whois history and
- arin.net/whois/ - for reverse IP lookup
- protect your copy: copy chuncks of text from your site and post it into an engine using quotes to look for copied content. also can use CopyScape
new webmasters use real WhoIs information
intermediate uses an anonymizer
advanced fake some of their WhoIs
goes through social engineering...
- pose as someone fake (like internet fraud prevention / survey / panel)
- ask a confusing question or a question that does not matter (do you do online transactions for over $100,000)
- ask the real questions (do you have any other sites)
track and log weird referals that might be competitors
- link: visitors
- visitors from WhoIs source
- people searching for allinanchor:
- people from sites on known open proxies
screwing with competitors
- serve them a 403
- serve them their own site
- serve them porn or annoying midi's
It is worth learning programming, and anything that is publicly available may not be worth using for one reason or another.
also someone mentioned BlogPulse
New to the site? Join for Free and get over $300 of free SEO software.
Once you set up your free account you can comment on our blog, and you are eligible to receive our search engine success SEO newsletter.
Already have an account? Login to share your opinions.
Gain a Competitive Advantage Today
Your top competitors have been investing into their marketing strategy for years.
Now you can know exactly where they rank, pick off their best keywords, and track new opportunities as they emerge.
Explore the ranking profile of your competitors in Google and Bing today using SEMrush.
Enter a competing URL below to quickly gain access to their organic & paid search performance history - for free.
See where they rank & beat them!
- Comprehensive competitive data: research performance across organic search, AdWords, Bing ads, video, display ads, and more.
- Compare Across Channels: use someone's AdWords strategy to drive your SEO growth, or use their SEO strategy to invest in paid search.
- Global footprint: Tracks Google results for 120+ million keywords in many languages across 28 markets
- Historical data: since 2009, before Panda and Penguin existed, so you can look for historical penalties and other potential ranking issues.
- Risk-free: Free trial & low price.