So there was an old domain name I really wanted. I saw that the site was down and that the PageRank was already stripped (which happens to most expiring domains anyhow) and the name was kinda junky, but I was hoping that it would go to auction and I would be the only one backordering it. Oh how I was wrong.
It just cost me about $4,000 to buy a generic domain with 0 PageRank because I was too dumb to try to get it earlier, perhaps while it still had PageRank. So the tip is, if you see a site down and think you would like the traffic stream the domain enjoys you are probably better off asking the current owner if they would part with it for a few hundred dollars instead of paying $4,000 at auction for it ;)
Gain a Competitive Advantage Today
Your top competitors have been investing into their marketing strategy for years.
Now you can know exactly where they rank, pick off their best keywords, and track new opportunities as they emerge.
Explore the ranking profile of your competitors in Google and Bing today using SEMrush.
Enter a competing URL below to quickly gain access to their organic & paid search performance history - for free.
See where they rank & beat them!
- Comprehensive competitive data: research performance across organic search, AdWords, Bing ads, video, display ads, and more.
- Compare Across Channels: use someone's AdWords strategy to drive your SEO growth, or use their SEO strategy to invest in paid search.
- Global footprint: Tracks Google results for 120+ million keywords in many languages across 28 markets
- Historical data: since 2009, before Panda and Penguin existed, so you can look for historical penalties and other potential ranking issues.
- Risk-free: Free trial & low price.