Not a conventional link building technique, but sometimes when you know an idea is going to go viral you can jump in on it early and then quickly claim how successful it was for you, or why you think it is an important cause.
Even if, in truth, something did not work amazingly well, you can still do well off the secondary plublicity. The million dollar home page concept is starting to fizzle a bit, but imagine if you were one of the early ad buyers and quickly turned in a glowing testimonial.
The first posted testimonial works as bait to sell more ads. If you take a look at the usage log on the site that posted the first testimonial you will see that their case study link sent them over 6 times as much traffic this month as the million dollar home page link did.
If an idea goes viral there will be some copy cats that copy the link structure & content. Also some reporters may want easy background on a story. The $100 ad spend being one of the first ad buyers also listed as one of the first testimonials may pay off huge.
Sometimes bets like that waste your money, but in aggregate they usually pay off.
Gain a Competitive Advantage Today
Your top competitors have been investing into their marketing strategy for years.
Now you can know exactly where they rank, pick off their best keywords, and track new opportunities as they emerge.
Explore the ranking profile of your competitors in Google and Bing today using SEMrush.
Enter a competing URL below to quickly gain access to their organic & paid search performance history - for free.
See where they rank & beat them!
- Comprehensive competitive data: research performance across organic search, AdWords, Bing ads, video, display ads, and more.
- Compare Across Channels: use someone's AdWords strategy to drive your SEO growth, or use their SEO strategy to invest in paid search.
- Global footprint: Tracks Google results for 120+ million keywords in many languages across 28 markets
- Historical data: since 2009, before Panda and Penguin existed, so you can look for historical penalties and other potential ranking issues.
- Risk-free: Free trial & low price.