For a while I didn't realize that my affiliate software program tracked affiliate conversions by ad format. I have had a good number of affiliate sales since then ;)
By far and away the top converting affiliate format is text links using whatever the publisher wants in a text link. Other than that the general trend is the smaller the ad size is the better it converts. Once you go below 100x100 the conversion rates drop off a bit, but anywhere from 100x100 to 350x250 does great. The traditional banner sized ads and exceptionally large ads do not convert well, perhaps because they alert a part of the brain that says "I am trying to sell you crap".
What affiliate ad formats do you find most effective? Have you noticed any recent changes in conversion trends based on ad format?
Gain a Competitive Advantage Today
Your top competitors have been investing into their marketing strategy for years.
Now you can know exactly where they rank, pick off their best keywords, and track new opportunities as they emerge.
Explore the ranking profile of your competitors in Google and Bing today using SEMrush.
Enter a competing URL below to quickly gain access to their organic & paid search performance history - for free.
See where they rank & beat them!
- Comprehensive competitive data: research performance across organic search, AdWords, Bing ads, video, display ads, and more.
- Compare Across Channels: use someone's AdWords strategy to drive your SEO growth, or use their SEO strategy to invest in paid search.
- Global footprint: Tracks Google results for 120+ million keywords in many languages across 28 markets
- Historical data: since 2009, before Panda and Penguin existed, so you can look for historical penalties and other potential ranking issues.
- Risk-free: Free trial & low price.