I was born in Yorkshire, England. Over the years I've lived in various places in England and Wales. I'm now living in the Haldon Hills just outside Exeter, not far from the wilds of Dartmoor and the beaches (and Atlantic swell!) of North Devon.
I started programming computers in the late 1960s, when I was still at school. In those days there were no computers in schools, so we had to build our own. The main components were a large pile of Post Office surplus relays, and lots of wire. Programs were entered via a set of switches on the front panel. It took about an hour to persuade it to add 2 and 2, but it was extremely satisfying when it eventually produced the correct answer!
After school I was at the University of Southampton for 11 years, finishing up as a Research Fellow.
Since then I have run my own business. Looking back I now realise that I have never had a day job.
- Member for
- 8 years 2 months
Gain a Competitive Advantage Today
Your top competitors have been investing into their marketing strategy for years.
Now you can know exactly where they rank, pick off their best keywords, and track new opportunities as they emerge.
Explore the ranking profile of your competitors in Google and Bing today using SEMrush.
Enter a competing URL below to quickly gain access to their organic & paid search performance history - for free.
See where they rank & beat them!
- Comprehensive competitive data: research performance across organic search, AdWords, Bing ads, video, display ads, and more.
- Compare Across Channels: use someone's AdWords strategy to drive your SEO growth, or use their SEO strategy to invest in paid search.
- Global footprint: Tracks Google results for 120+ million keywords in many languages across 28 markets
- Historical data: since 2009, before Panda and Penguin existed, so you can look for historical penalties and other potential ranking issues.
- Risk-free: Free trial & low price.